Wandering New York

I'm writing here instead of elsewhere (read: the book). I sure do love putting off the projects that intimidate me, but man does it feel good when you actually hammer out some progress you're proud of. I'll get to you soon enough, book.

New York City has been quite the adventure as of late. We've been here for a good six months and have all the details of our lives nicely worked out. We have a cafe we like, can give directions (for the most part!), have friends and a routine. With all that settled, we've had so much free time to wander in my favorite exploratory fashion. Every city block is truly singular and every corner really does reveal a new surprise. But what is most unique in my mind is that these same streets offer an entirely different experience at night than during the day.

There are two cities in one here.

Walk down 9th street, for example, (shut up, Matt, I'm really not as obsessed with 9th as you think I am. Okay, maybe I am just a little bit...). During the day, the street is neatly lined with brick-freckled apartments and the occasional well kept fire escape. People bounce up and down concrete stairs into homes and stores and each others' lives. They have each been here umpteen times before. You can tell. The street is familiar. It is a Manhattan suburbia.

By night, when the natural light fades and the windows brighten with displays that may or may not have magically appeared sometime during the evolution of dusk, a street awakens in a way that surprises you because never once had you realized that it was even asleep! Friends and new acquaintances from all over the city fill the side walks and the laughter is hearty and the heat that spills out from the restaurants as the doors open to bring together all those who spent their days shaking up streets somewhere else in the world is alluring.

When the sun blinks out and the lights come on, I swear no one is alone in this city, not even me as I walk all by myself silently observing.

I like the historic side of this city (and all cities, for that matter) best. Matt and I have plans to go on some tours through the Tenement Museum here in the Lower East Side. We stumbled upon it sometime yesterday on our four hour walk. It was one of those beautiful Saturdays that New Yorks live for. We should have jumped on a tour right then and there, but didn't. No reason why, we just didn't. We really should have.

How un-spontaneous of us!









Oh AND, I got this plate :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

different paths

college campus lawn

wires in front of sky

aerial perspective

clouds

clouds over the highway

The Poultney Inn

apartment for rent