Working behind the bar at a high-end steak house in Midtown Manhattan means satisfying diners who expect perfect cocktails to complement their perfect porterhouses, but Jillian Balser has everything under control. As the bartender at the Capital Grille in Midtown Manhattan, she takes care of the discerning crowds with an inspired menu of cocktails that do more than stand up to the food - they take it to a higher level. Here, Balser discusses her culinary background, the unique way she mixes martinis, and the pleasures of the bespoke cocktail experience.
Tell me a little bit about your background. Where are you from, and how did you get into hospitality? My family is from Massachusetts and they have owned restaurants for nearly 100 years. I started in their business when I was 12. I ended up down in Florida for a while, and then I moved up to New York a little more than a year ago with my husband. Now I work at the Capital Grille, a high-end steak house.
What is your job title there, and what are some of your responsibilities? I am a bartender and a certified trainer for them. When they open a store, I am sent with a team on location to help them open up and set a high standard, with a little bit of fun mixed in. As far as bartending goes, I do a lot of mixing of drinks, a lot of chitchat, inventory, things like that.
What kinds of drinks are popular at the Capital Grille? We are huge on martinis, which go so well with steaks, as well as wine. The martinis are all vodka at this point – it’s been months since I’ve had an order for a gin martini.
I love vodka martinis, but they've got to be made right - super cold. I have little system to make martinis. Instead of having a large tin shaker and topping it with a pint glass, I use two tin shakers - one large and one small - and shake for minimum of 30 seconds. The shaker gets so cold that it's hard to hold, and gets frost on it so it looks like a snow cone. Then I pour it so little ice crystals cover the top of the cocktail. A proper martini has to have those ice crystals.
I completely agree. What other kinds of drinks are popular? Grey Goose is a significant staple at every bar, we stock it as well as everything else. I always carry standard Grey Goose, as well as pear (Grey Goose La Poire), lemon (Grey Goose Le Citron), and orange (Grey Goose L'Orange). A lot of people like it on the rocks, but we have something we call the Wooly Bully, which is Grey Goose L'Orange with soda and a thick orange slice.
Do people gravitate toward different cocktails depending on the season? You do see a huge difference in what people order. We're starting to stock up on cold weather drinks. People like coffee drinks, and, martini-wise, I'm starting to see creamier drinks.
If a customer can't decide what cocktail to order, how do you help them? I like mixing stuff up, so I always ask them whether they're into fruity or savory flavors. It’s the same with food, people have a category they like. I'm like a chef, I know what flavor profiles go well together. Do you like orange, citrus, pear? You mix things together that go well with the flavors they like. They usually respond well to that, like they’re having a bespoke cocktail experience.
What do you like to do when you have a day off? Any hobbies or leisure activities that keep you balanced? I'm an aspiring writer, and I like history - it's actually one of the reasons I moved to New York - so when I have time I like to explore the city and experience what it has to offer.