Stories from the Bar

I tend bar... a lot.

And as you can imagine, I often witness some pretty insane moments.

Not all are terribly scandalous.

In fact, one of my all time favorites, and the first one I'd like to share here, is a love story. And as you can imagine, with all these wedding plans flying about, I'm loving the love stories lately.

He was a business man that had been flown into New York for perhaps his one millionth meeting here. She was an executive also dropped into the Big Apple for work that week. They both had had long hard days, and yet surprisingly were too restless to sit alone in their hotel rooms for yet another round of room service.

They each came instead to a bar, sat in an open seat and ordered. Nothing was new or exceptional about the meal, expect that during it they had struck up conversation. And from that, their lives took a turn.

Back in Oklahoma, she thought of him all the time. 

Back in London, he found it tricky to stop himself from calling her.

Months went by, until finally being apart seemed pointless. She would move to London to be with him and they would together somehow sort through all the red tape of immigration and jobs and the sadness of her being so far away from family. 

She gave notice at her job... and that's when the miracle happened! Work didn't want to lose her. They told her to find a way to work from London. They'd fly her home when they needed her... which would be fairly often. She could keep her citizenship. She could keep her career and her family AND have her great love.

She could essentially have her cake and fly it to London if she wanted to too.

When I met the couple, they were again both in NYC for work and they had returned to my bar to revisit the place they had met... to just get a quick bite to eat before bed. They sat in the same seats and told me their story.

What had struck me that day was that it was just a boring ol' Tuesday when I met them. We weren't particularly busy and they had been just two people sitting quietly at the end of the bar, talking happily to themselves. They could have walked in and out without my ever knowing that I had been in presence of Fate. And now, just because of this job, I was not only able to speak to two people who I would likely have never crossed paths with otherwise, but have now become part of their story.

I'm that girl they met when they came back.

I'm also that girl passing the story on. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

different paths

college campus lawn

wires in front of sky

aerial perspective

clouds

clouds over the highway

The Poultney Inn

apartment for rent